Microsoft is one of the popular platforms when it comes to user account. However, most users prefer to have a local account from the websites compared to Microsoft. However, if you want to open some particular applications and use them, you need to have a Microsoft account.
Without it, you won’t be able to enter applications like Outlook, OneDrive. Microsoft Teams, Skype, and others. If you do not want to use the Microsoft Account anymore and want to delete it from your Windows 10, you need to know how to remove Microsoft account from Windows 10.
Most companies offer a very lengthy or long procedure to delete the official account. No one wants to provide an easy way to lose their accounts faster. However, Microsoft still offers a lesser number of steps to remove an account compared to others.
As mentioned earlier, most people do not like to use a Microsoft account and choose the local accounts over it. Although, you need to know more details about them before using or deleting them from your Windows 10. So, here is some information that you need to know about both of the account types.
What Is A Windows Microsoft Account?
Before knowing the process to delete them from your Windows 10, you need to learn more about it. Microsoft offers an account for all Microsoft users to provide access to different software and websites. For example, you can’t visit the Windows Store unless you have a Microsoft account.
You will be able to download any new apps from the store and use them on your Windows 10 computer. Most of these apps are available in other stores but with different features. With a live id from Microsoft, you can use many features on your Windows 10, including services like Hotmail, Xbox one, Windows Messenger, Outlook, and others.
Before finding out how to remove Microsoft account from Windows 10, let’s find out about Local accounts.
What Is The Local Account?
If you have used Windows XP or 7, then you know about local accounts. The local account enables you to access all the operating systems of a computer with ease. People who have used Windows XP and 7 are familiar with it, as they have used it too. The local account is created to be used on that particular computer.
You can’t use it on other operating systems. But, you can use the local account to install software, log in quickly, change the settings, and others. They are far more different from the Microsoft accounts and provide fewer features. But, you do not have to go through the complex process to remove them from the computer.
Let’s find out how to remove Microsoft account from Windows 10.
Remove The Microsoft Account From Windows 10
Before you learn how to remove microsoft account, you need to confirm your decision. It is because once you delete them, they are not recoverable. Even if some necessary data is there, you will not be able to get it. Anything on that account will be permanently deleted. So, you can also create the local account as a backup mail option.
There are three methods that you can use to remove the Microsoft account from Windows 10. All of them are very easy and short compared to the lengthy processes of others. Here are they given below with details and step-by-step.
Method 1: Use Netplwiz To Remove Microsoft Account
- First, you need to press the R and Windows keys together simultaneously from the keyboard. It will open the run box that helps to search for any program of files.
- Once the box appears, type netplwiz and open accounts, then press enter. You need to check that the auto-login is not enabled. If it is enabled, then you have to disable it and provide a username and password manually.
- From the list of accounts, select the Microsoft account that you want to remove from your Windows 10 computer.
- Click on the remove button displayed under the list to remove the account.
- A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation of your action; select yes to remove the account.
This is one of the answers to how to remove microsoft account from Windows 10. Here is another method is given below with details that you can use as well.
Method 2: Use WinX To Remove Microsoft Account
- Press both X and Windows keys together to get the WinX menu. Now, select the control panel option from the menu.
- After entering the control panel, sort the list by clicking on ‘view andy’ and changing it to large icons.
- You will then find the ‘User Accounts.’ Enter there and select the ‘manage another account’ link.
- It will show you all the accounts that are available in this computer operating system right now.
- You can select the one you want to remove and click on delete from the menu.
A pop-up will appear asking you to keep the documented files related to that particular account. You can select yes or no based on your need. However, choosing yes will help the folder to be intact for you to access.
Now, the last method to find out how to remove Microsoft account from Windows 10.
Method 3: Use Settings App To Remove Microsoft Account
- Find the setting button from the left corner start button. Open the Settings app by clicking on it, or you can use Windows+I hotkey as well.
- In the settings app, you will find the ‘accounts’ option. Click on it and select family and other users from the left side menu.
- You will get a list of activated accounts, select the one you want to remove, and click on remove.
A confirmation pop-up will appear with the option ‘Delete account and data’ Select yes if you want to delete it.
These are the most popular and common ways of removing Microsoft Account from Windows 10. You can choose any of them that seems to be good for you. But, no matter which one you choose, make sure to backup all your data before removing the account. Once the account is deleted, you will not be able to recover the data associated with that account. So, think twice before permanently deleting your account.