Microsoft is one of the most popular companies for bringing PC users different features and a seamless operating system. Billions of people are out there who use Windows as their primary operating system. Most of them have a Microsoft account, and it is necessary to get access to the store and other apps.
However, many people want to delete their Microsoft account for different reasons. Either they are selling their PC or want to open a new account, deleting a Microsoft account can be a complex process for people who are doing it for the first time.
So, if you are one of those beginners who wants to know how to delete a Microsoft account, here are some methods that you can use. Deleting personal information will help you to stay safe and prevent any security breach. However, before we get to know the different methods, here are some things that you need to keep in mind.
Things To Keep In Mind
There are plenty of things that you need to keep in mind before deleting a Microsoft account. The most common and obvious one is thinking twice. Before you delete your account, you need to know that deleting the account will erase everything, including data, information, media, and others.
If there is anything you need, then you have to keep it out. Once the deleting process is in progress, you will not be able to get them back. They will be deleted permanently along with the account.
Also, make sure to go through the subscription list to see if you have any subscriptions. You may have subscriptions and funds in your account that you need to check before deleting the account. It is better to cancel the subscriptions and withdraw the money, as you will not be able to get it once it is deleted.
So, here are the different methods to find out how to delete a Microsoft account.
How To Delete A Microsoft Account
As mentioned above, there are different ways to delete your Microsoft account permanently. You have to choose one that works best for you and matches your requirements. Here is the first method is given below.
The most straightforward way to delete your Microsoft account is through settings. It takes a short time and is easy to understand for every user.
- Go to start at the bottom left corner of the screen and click on settings. You will find the family & other users option in the settings menu.
- After clicking on family and other users, you will find all the accounts listed.
- Click on the account you want to delete, and you will get the option ‘remove.’
- Click on remove to delete the account, and you will receive a confirmation message asking to ‘delete account and data.’
- Click on it to remove this account from your PC.
If you do not want to delete data with the account, back it up before starting this method. You can also use other methods only to delete the account and keep data automatically. Learn how to delete a Microsoft Account using another method.
This is a very popular way to delete your Microsoft account while keeping the data intact.
- Go to the start from the bottom left of the screen, and you will find a menu with lots of options on the left side.
- Select the ‘User Accounts’ option among them, and you will get a list of all the accounts.
- Select the account that you want to delete from your computer
- You will find the option ‘delete the account’ after clicking on a user account.
- Click on it to delete your account, and you will get a pop-up with three options such as delete files, keep files, and cancel
- You can choose to keep files and delete the account only or delete both of them, which was not available on the other method.
You can use this method if you want to keep your files and delete the account. Your files will be intact on the computer. If this one is not for you, you can learn how to delete a Microsoft account using a command.
This is an alternative method that you can use to delete the Microsoft account from your PC.
- In the search box, type ‘command prompt’ and search.
- Then, you have to run the search result as an administrator. Right-clicking on it will help you to get the option.
- You can remove the user account with this command ‘net user username/delete.’
Put the name of the account at the place of the username to remove it from Windows. This way, you will be able to remove the account without any Microsoft login.
- Go to the search box and search for ‘run’ and search.
- From the result, open run and type ‘netplwiz’ and click on ‘Okay.’
- It will take you to the user account list that is active on your PC.
- You have to select the one that you want to remove from the list and click on remove.
- You will find the option ‘remove’ between ‘add’ and ‘properties.’
- It will ask you for confirmation; click on yes to remove it successfully.
However, you will not be able to get your saved files and media using this method. You will need to backup your data to prevent losing them. Now you know how to delete a Microsoft account in different ways, choose the best one based on your requirements.
Selling your computer or want to reduce the number of accounts in your Windows? Here are some of the most used methods that you can use to delete a Microsoft account quickly. Make sure to backup all your data and information before deleting your account. The files will not be recoverable once they are deleted.