Creating beats in 2023 has become a newfound hobby for many with a good ear for music. Whether it’s creating beats for hip-hop tracks, EDM tracks, or LoFi tracks, knowing about the right software will help you a lot. Therefore, why not start using the free beat making software that I have listed here?
If you are new to creating beats and music production in general, learning how to use such free software can be a good starting point. Therefore, start reading this post to learn about seven great free applications that you must start using right now!
Best Beat-Making Software For Music Production In 2023
Here is my list of seven of the best free beat-making software that you should start using in 2023.
Apple’s Garageband is a must-have free beat-making software for Mac, iPhone. iPad, and MacBook users. This is one of the most convenient and intuitive software for beginners looking forward to creating beats on the go.
- Intuitive UI: The UI of Garageband is pretty simple and easy to use. When you first start using it, you won’t even need to check YouTube for tutorials – it’s that easy!
- Inbuilt loops: Garageband has various pre-loaded beats and loops that you can use right from the get-go!
- Type your music: Unlike various other DAWs, you don’t need a MIDI keyboard. Your keyboard will suffice for making beats!
- Record and edit music: You can easily record every track on Garageband and edit them to create professional-quality recordings!
- Integrate with other tools: If you use different music production software together, you can integrate Garageband and use it with them pretty easily.
- Share and collaborate with others easily: After you are done recording and editing a beat, you can instantly share it with others online!
2. Cakewalk By Bandlab
One of the oldest free beat-making software on this list, the use of Cakewalk by Bandlab dates back all the way to 1987.
- Cloud-based: Bandlab is completely cloud-based. Therefore, you can use it on any supported device as long as you have an internet connection.
- Friendly UI: This software is recommended in every “best free beat-making software for beginners” list for its easy-to-use UI.
- Pre-built Loops: If you are a beginner, you can use its loop library to kickstart your music production journey!
- Recording and editing tools: Similar to DAW software, you can record and edit all tracks through Bandlab.
- Real-time collaboration: If you are creating music with multiple producers, you can share all projects with them in real-time.
3. Tracktion Waveform
Sometimes, instead of a simple beat maker, you need a complete DAW to make music production easier. Therefore, if you are interested in one, you can start using Tracktion Waveform – for free!
- Simple UI: Waveform has a pretty simple UI so that beginners don’t have to think too much while creating groovy beats!
- Big library for loops and effects: If you want preloaded loops, samples, and effects to add spice to your music, Waveform has got you covered with its big library of loops.
- Lots of usable tools: If you want DAW effects like reverb, EQ, and compression, you’ll get them all here with Waveform!
4. Avid Pro Tools (Intro Edition)
While Avid Pro Tools has many versions, its free-to-use Intro version is the one that you should be downloading first. While it’s not feature-rich as its premium versions, you can start producing beats easily with it.
- Used by industry professionals: If you ask any professional music producer about Avid Pro Tools, you will only hear good things about it. This software has lots of features making it famous amongst industry professionals.
- Inbuilt effects, loops, and samples: If you think Pro Tools is meant only for professionals, you are wrong. This software has a large library of loops, effects, samples, and more to help beginners create amazing tracks!
- Friendly UI: If your free beat making software does not have an easy-to-use UI, it’s best if you don’t use it. Fortunately, Pro Tools has a pretty intuitive UI.
5. Akai MPC Beats
If you want music production software that you can pair with its own MIDI keyboard, then Akai MPC Beats is for you. It’s one of the best DAWs for beat producers in the market right now – that too for free!
- Integration with MPC hardware: Akai Beats has the distinction of being software that’s supported by its own MIDI keyboard. Therefore, you can use this free music beat-making software with the MIDI keyboard by mapping functions to its keys!
- More focus on making beats: If you want to be the best beat maker in the industry and create the best hip-hop and pop tracks, this is the software you need. This is because it’s focused more on making beats than anything else.
- Various virtually usable instruments: However, if you want to do more than just make beats, you can use its virtual instruments as well. Here, the best thing is that you can use these virtual instruments with the Akai MPC MIDI keyboard as well!
- Friendly UI: If you think everything that I explained above sounds complicated, it’s not. The UI is simple enough to make everything easier.
6. Serato DJ Lite
If you want to be the next big DJ similar to the likes of DJ Snake and David Guetta, then download Serato DJ Lite now! Tailored more towards DJs and electronic music producers, the features in its free “Lite” version are still worth a look!
- Easy-to-use UI: The UI is pretty simple to use for a beat making software free. Therefore, this makes it easy for beginners to jump in and make groovy beats!
- Preloaded loops and samples: Beginners can get a good idea as to what type of beats they can produce using its library. This contains lots of beat loops and samples to make the best electronic music possible!
- Easy sharing and collaboration with others: If you are a DJ and part of a duo setup, why not use Serato DJ lite to make a beat and share it with your partner in an instant?
- Integrates perfectly with Serato DJ: If you are a professional DJ using the premium Serato DJ software, you can easily make beats here and use them there for post-production.
Soundtrap is the newest free beat-making software on this list that you can try using. It has lots of features that make it alluring to new music producers, which you can see below.
- Cloud-Based: Similar to Bandlab, this software is based on cloud storage. Therefore, as long as you have an internet connection, you can store all your tracks on the cloud.
- Large assortment of loops: If you want copyright-free loops and sounds that you wish to use, Soundtrap has lots of them in its library.
- Easy to collaborate with others: You can easily share unfinished tracks and beats with others if you are collaborating with other artists!
- Record and edit music tracks: You can record and edit all your beats and tracks, along with saving them to continue working on them later!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Newer hip-hop and electronic music producers and beatmakers have various questions regarding the best free beat making software. Here are my answers to their queries:
Ans: If you want to create Lo-Fi beats, then you don’t need an extremely high-end PC to make the grooviest beats. If you plan to create only beats, then 8GB RAM is enough. On the other hand, 16GB is necessary for more music production. For producing music, you need a higher processing power along with decent RAM.
Ans: When it comes to premium beat making software that you can use in 2023, the best ones are:
i. FL Studio (Fruity Loops Studio)
Ans: In 2023, you can make beat-making profitable only if you produce high quality beats. However, to make good money, it’s best if you learn overall music production along with making beats.
Now You Can Make Others Groove Too!
All the free beat-making software that I have listed above will act as great jump pads for learning music production. Whether it’s as a hobby or professionally, all the software above is great. If you think you want to go down this path in the future, then some of these applications even have feature-rich premium versions as well that you can upgrade to.
If you found this post helpful, why not share it with your friends? Also, I would appreciate leaving a comment down below if you have any other free beat-making software in mind!