Want to know the steps to install iTunes for Chromebook? If yes, then you have reached the right place.
While a lot of people use iTunes, it is an app that primarily works on Macbooks. This is because it is a software that the Apple Incorporation designs. It is a default app that iOS users use for listening to music on their devices.
But what if you have a Chromebook and want to install this app? Is it impossible to do that? Then, keep reading to learn the steps of how to install iTunes for Chromebook…
How To Install iTunes For Chromebook?
Even though the market of Apple is huge, there are also a lot of people across the world who use Android or other devices. For example, Google Chromebooks are becoming increasingly popular these days.
This device runs on Google Operating System. While it allows several apps and tools that are available for Android and Windows users, considering the fact that iTunes is an iOS app, things can be different!
If you do not use iOS products and have a Chromebook instead and are looking for the ways to install iTunes there, you have reached the right place.
Here are the steps to install iTunes for Chromebook:
1. Enable Linux
The first thing that you need to do is enable Linux support on your Chromebook. In order to do that, follow the steps that are given below:
- Place your cursor on the bottom right corner of the screen
- Open the Quick Settings options
- Click on Settings at the top right of the screen
- Scroll to reach the Linus (Beta) option at the bottom of the list
- Click on Turn on to enable Linux on Chromebook
2. Set Up The Wine App On Chromebook
Now that you have Linux on your Chromebook, the next step that you need to take is to install and run the Wine app on your device. Why? Well, in order to enable the support for 32-bit software.
Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Open the terminal window on Linux
- Write sudo apt-get install wine on the windows and start the installation
- Write sudo dpkg –add-architecture i386 and execute the command
- This will make sure that you are able to set up the Wine app on your Chromebook
- Execute the command sudo apt-get install wine32 to upgrade it to the 32-bit software version.
3. Install And Setup iTunes On Chromebook
You are almost there! Keep in mind that the 64-bit software of iTunes is not yet compatible with Chromebook. And that is why you need to settle with the 32-bit version of the software. Here are the steps that you need to follow to install iTunes on Chromebook:
- Download the iTunes app on your Chromebook
- Open the terminal window of the Linux
- Execute the command WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/username/.wine32/ wine iTunesSetup.exe
- The installation window will now open on your screen
- Click on Next to continue
- Finally, click Install
- Wait for the process of installation to get over
- Click on Finish to end the process of installation
4. Create The Path Or Shortcut
This one is a very important process. The storage and the path of the iTunes app on your Chromebook might not always be correct. So it falls on your shoulder to ensure that you are able to rectify the path of the app in a more Linux-friendly way.
Here are some of the steps that you need to follow:
- Open the File Manager on your Chromebook
- Head over to the Linux file directory
- Click on the three dots at the top of the screen and select the Show Hidden Files option.
- Navigate to: .local -> share -> applications -> wine -> Program Files -> iTunes
- Search Desktop files
- Right-click on it and select the option Open with Text Editor
- Find the line that starts with Exec=
- Add the code env WINEPREFIX=”/home/username/.wine32″ wine “/home/username/.wine32/drive_c/Program Files/iTunes/iTunes.exe” after Exec=
- Save and close the app.
5. By Exporting Music From iTunes To Youtube Music
You can import iTunes music to Youtube music by following these steps below. You will need a PC to perform these steps.
- Go to any web browser and then go to Youtube music website.
- Next you will need to drag and drop all your iTunes music files in the Youtube music website.
- A pop-up box will come up asking you to accept the Youtube TOS.
- After accepting this pop-up wait for a few seconds until the process is complete.
- After the process you can play iTunes music through Youtube Music. Best part about this process is that on Apple’s ecosystem Youtube music is supported be it iPad or iPhone or other iOS device.
Using the Youtube Music app Apple users can also sync their music or other files easily.
6. Using Virtual Machine Applications Like Parallels Or VirtualBox
Some of you might want to use iTunes along with all its aspects on your Chromebook so this process is specifically for you all. Using a virtual machine can help you achieve this. Many applications such as Parallel Desktop for ChromeOS or VirtualBox. Here we have discussed the process of VirtualBox.
Take note that only Chromebook with an Intel-based processor can smoothly run with a virtual machine. You will need to download the Windows ISO or a lightweight Linux distro to run a virtual machine. You also need a good amount of space for the Virtual Machine’s guest OS.
When all these steps are done, then follow these steps to enjoy iTunes on your Chromebook.
- Firstly, launch any web browser on your Chromebook and then go to the Linux downloads section in the VirtualBox website.
- Next, select the Debian 10 and then save the downloads
- After the download, go to the download location in the Chromebook and then double-click on the downloaded file.
- Next select the option ‘Install with Linux’ and then follow the prompts shown on the screen to install Virtual Box.
- After installing, launch the Virtual Box from ‘Linux Apps Folder’ and from the Virtual Box window select the ‘New’ option.
- Again follow all the prompts on your screen to download guest OS on VirtualBox similar to Windows or lightweight Linux distro in low-end devices.
- After installation, open the virtual machine to install iTunes on the downloaded guest OS.
- After installing iTunes you can listen to your choice of music in iTunes on your Chromebook.
And that is all. You are now all set to listen to music using iTunes on your Chromebook!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Now that you have almost read this entire blog, I hope that this guide has answered your question. Here are some of the questions that readers frequently ask about installing iTunes on a Chromebook. Take a look at them!
The first Chrome book was launched and released in the year 2011. It was for sale by Samsung and Acer Inc. The exact date was 15th June.
Wine App is a web based application that helps users to install and run programs that are made for windows or iOS on Linux systems.
Wrapping It Up!
Chromebook has become an increasingly popular app that many people across the world use. And that is the reason why people ask if one can install iOS apps like iTunes on Chromebooks or not.
In case you were searching for ways to install iTunes for Chromebook, I hope this blog has been able to provide you with the steps for easy installation of the same. Let me know if you need help with any other thing.